Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Plagiarism – Tezaab and The Untouchables……

“The only difference between a Bollywood story writer and a common person like you and me, is that he has seen exactly one more Hollywood movie than you…which one? The one he copies, and makes movie for you to see…..”

It took me the hard way to realize this fact.



I am a big Bollywood fan. Even after these incidences, I still am. While talking to the people from other countries, western countries, in those days, I was always eager to share the good Bollywood movies with them…wanted to prove that our movies are also as good as theirs….
To my astonishment, I never received even an affirmative node. I went on wondering….

Tezaab came in 1988. The famous action scene, with cradle going down the stairs and Anil Kapoor chasing it, was something we all had never seen before….we saw it with ‘awe’….opened eyes….and saw it again and again….why would we not? It was a great movie, great music, directed by the famous director who gave us ‘Ankush’…..

Fast forward to 1992. Those were the days of LDs. Not CDs. One generation before CDs, there were LDs. And one day, I caught this movie. The Untouchables. And the famous action scene on steps…..



One hand, I was happy to see this wonderful action movie that was going to remain my favourite for the rest of my life….on other hand, there was this feeling of being cheated….I would recall again and again how many time I had discussed this great movie with friends and cousins from western countries…..they must have been laughing…..and I suddenly realized why there was not even a affirmative node…..

The copy was at such level that even the expressions of the female, whose baby goes down the steps in the cradle were same…..later on, after the internet, I would come to know that The Untouchables, was exactly one year before Tezaab, 1987….

 This is true everywhere. Every work of art or research must have one thing. The prime requirement is originality. Originality accounts and in most of the world, let it be movies or art or research, it is the only one thing that matters…..!

Himanshu (Arjun) Padhya


No comments:

Post a Comment